FOR SALE: 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ44V
View dozens of high res pics below
This amazing “time warp truck” is most likely one of the nicest most original 40 series Land Cruisers left in existence. .It is a documented one owner truck since September 19, 1981. It comes from a resort lake town on the island of Hokkaido in Japan.
A little background…The BJ44V is the hardtop medium wheelbase version of the BJ40 which itself is the diesel version of the FJ40. At 97”, the wheelbase is approximately 7” longer than a comparable FJ40. In total the BJ44 is approximately 14” longer than a FJ40. The BJ44V was produced from 1980 until 1982. Which makes for a very short production run for the long running 40 series. Combine this rarity with the L-Package with which this truck is equipped and includes such items as the chrome bezel/grille, rear bumpers and license plate light covers, 15” white painted wheels and that amazing cloth vinyl ivory interior with front buckets and center console with rear heat. Add in the original factory A/C and radio and the very pricey and rare factory PTO winch and the result is one rare 40 series indeed.
The original previous owner went to great lengths to preserve this truck for future generations. For instance, the doorcards are coated in clear plastic. Also, aft of the front seats the entire floor is covered in custom cut and stitched green plastic which is then covered in carpet. Underneath is not only a scratch free floor but also original tan matting. On top of the condition are the super low miles. At 43,549km (27,060miles) this truck drives very well. Presumably garaged, everything on this truck works. The pull knobs on the dash work and are not faded or discolored. Neither does the rare A/C, nor the rare factory radio, nor the rare late model steering wheel. Yes, there are a few scratches here and there of which I have done my best to photograph, but overall, there is nothing whatsoever on this truck that does not jive with the mileage and upkeep.
Which leads me to the few bits that aren’t original. There are several additional switches (matching Toyota ones though) that I presume were for the roof mounted auxiliary lights as there are 6 small plugs in the front of the roof for where they were attached. You will also notice in the rear are two wooden boxes. In one are the tools that go with the original Toyota jack. In the other I have put the front seat covers.
Features mentioned and not yet mentioned:Rare medium wheelbase-approximately 97 inches. FJ40 wheelbase is 90 inches.
- Only produced between 1980-1982.
- 27,060 (43,549km) original miles!
- Extremely well kept original one owner.
- Forward facing folding bench seat.
- Rare factory spec L-Package.
- Front disc brakes.
- Rare factory PTO Winch.
- Ivory Fabric/Vinyl Seats.
- Factory A/C-works.
- Factory Radio-works.
- Front and rear heat-works.
- All original tan factory matting.
- Custom fit seat covers for front and rear seats.
- All original glass with etching. Seals are all in excellent -condition see photos.
- Incredibly clean and original inside & out
- No leaks.
- Original L-Package 15” white painted steel wheels.
- 2B 3.2l diesel.
- Hoses and plastics under hood are fresh and non-brittle.
- 4 speed manual transmission with hi/lo shifter.
- Late model sliding side windows.
- Original owners’ manual included with partial service records.
- Original jack and tools included.
- Original Aisin locking front hubs.
- Pintle type tow hitch.
- Ambulance style rear doors.
- Removable/convertible hardtop.
- Windshield folds flat.
This vehicle is sold “as is”, no warranty stated or implied. All required customs, EPA & DOT forms will be provided along with a bill of sale.