LUBRICATING SYSTEM FSM: FJ40 / F ENGINE – TOYOTA LAND CRUISER
• DESCRIPTION (Section – 1)
• TROUBLE SHOOTING (Section – 2)
• OIL PUMP (Section – 3)
• OIL PRESSURE REGULA TOR (Section – 4)
• OIL FILTER (Up to E.N. 273210) (Section – 5)
• OIL FILTER (From E. N. 273211) (Section – 5)
LUBRICATING SYSTEM DESCRIPTION (Section – 1)
The lubricating method on the F Series Toyota Land Cruiser engine is an all force feed type insuring positive lubrication. The high pressure oil discharged from the oil pump is divided into two parts. One part enters into the oil hole in the cylinder block, while the other, after passing through the oil pressure regulator flows through the oil filter where it is cleaned, and returns to the oil pan.
The oil stream entering the oil hole lubricates the main bearings, and is again divided into two parts. One part lubricates the cam shaft bearings. The other passes through the crankshaft hole, lubricating the connecting rod bearings, the pistons, and cylinders through the holes in the crank pin bearing bores.
The oil stream lubricating the camshaft bearings is again divided. The one part lubricating the second bearing after passing through a pipe passes through the rocker arm shaft and lubricates the push rods, and lifters.
The other part lubricating the front bearing on the camshaft passes through the oil passages in the front end plate and is discharged through the timing gear oil nozzle, lubricating the crank-shaft, and cam shaft gears.
The oil pressure in the lubricating system is maintained at the pressure of 3.1 ~ 3.5 kg/cm² (44 ~ 50 psi) by means of a safety valve in the oil pressure regulator. When the pressure rises above this value, the oil is by-passed to the oil pan to reduce the pressure.
Oil Pump Specifications
Type: Gear Type
Delivery quantity: More than 16 liters (17 US qts.,
14 Imp. qts.) per minute at 1000 rpm
of pump at 50~60° C (122 ~ 140° F)
at 1 kg/em2 (14.2 psi)
Oil Pressure Regulator:
3.1 ~ 3.5 kg/cm2 (44.3 ~ 50 psi)
at 2400 rpm of engine at 80° c (176° F)
Type: Paper element
Filtering method: Partial flow
Capacity: 0.8 liters (0.85 US qts., / 0.7 Imp. qts.)
LUBRICATING SYSTEM – Trouble Shooting, Oil Pump (Section 2)
TROUBLE SHOOTING: Symptoms & Probable Causes
Low oil pressure | Remedies
1. Lubrication system
a. Oil suction restricted | Clean oil suction line
b. Oil pressure regulator valve faulty | Repair oil pressure regulator valve
c. Insufficient oil | Replenish oil and check for leaks
d. Wrong grade oil for climatic conditions | Replace with proper grade oil
a. Incorrect bearing clearance | Replace bearings
b. Worn main bearings | Replace bearings
c. Worn connecting rod bearings | Replace connecting rod bearings
Excessive Oil Consumption
Refer to Engine trouble Shooting.
The oil pump consists of two gears. The oil pump gears are driven by the
distributor shaft which is driven by the spiral gear on the camshaft. The pump
inlet pipe is fitted with oil strainer shell to prevent entry of small particles of
sludge, etc. into the oil pump.
A. Oil Pump Supporter
B. Body Thrust Ring
C. Lock Washer
E. Oil Pump Body
F. Oil pump Shaft
G. Oil pump Shaft Key
H. Oil Pump Drive Gear
I. Oil pump Cover Gasket
J. Valve Spring
K. Valve Ball
L. Oil Pump Driven Shaft
M. Oil Pump Driven Gear
O. Union Bolt Washer
P. Suction Pipe Union Bolt
R. Oil Pump Cover
T. Lock Washer
U. Rubber Washer
V. Oil Strainer
W. Oil Strainer Shell
LUBRICATING SYSTEM – Oil Pump (Section – 3)
Removal & Disassembly
1. Remove the engine front under cover, engine room under cover: RH and LH for FJ.
Remove the engine under cover: RH and LH for FA
2. Remove the flywheel side cover and the flywheel housing under cover.
3. Remove the front propeller shaft for FJ series.
4. Drain the engine lubricant.
5. Remove the oil pan attaching bolts, remove the oil pan, and the gasket.
6. Remove the oil strainer shell, next loosen both union nuts on the oil pump pipe.
7. Remove the lock wire and oil pump retaining bolt, and then remove the oil pump and the pipe from the cylinder block.
8. Straighten the union bolt lock washer and remove the union bolt, lock washer, gasket and the oil pump inlet pipe from the oil pump cover.
9. Remove the oil pump cover, and then slide out the oil pump driven gear and the oil pump drive gear together with oil pump shaft from the oil pump body.
Wash the disassembled parts with cleaning solvent, and inspect for defects.
1. Inspect the pump shaft for excessive wear and scores. If the diameter is less than 13.9mm or 0.547″, replace the shaft.
Drive shaft diameter:
13.985 ~ 14. 000 mm
(0.5506 ~ 0.5512″ )
Driven shaft diameter:
13.961 ~ 13.968 mm
(0.5496 ~ 0.5499″)
Drive shaft to body clearance:
0.014 ~ 0.057 mm
(0.0006 ~ 0.0022″ )
Drive shaft to gear clearance:
0.014 ~ 0.042 mm
(0.0006 ~ 0.0016″)
2. Inspect the oil pump gears for excessive wear, or damage. If defective, replace the gears.
3. Install the gear on the driven gear shaft. Press the gear toward the center
of the pump body, and measure the clearance between the gear teeth, and the body with
a feeler gauge. If clearance exceeds 0.2 mm (0.0079″”), replace
0.025 ~ 0.105 mm
(0.001 ~ 0.004″)
Checking Driven Gear Clearance
4. Remove the driven gear, and install the pump shaft with the drive gear attached to the pump. Press the gear toward the center of the
pump body, and measure the clearance between the gear teeth and the pump body with a feeler gauge.
If the clearance exceeds 0.2 mm (0.0079″), replace gear and/or the shaft.
If the clearance still exceeds the limit after replacement, replace the pump assembly.
0.025 ~ 0.105 mm
Checking Drive Gear Clearance
5. Measure the backlash between the and driven gears with a drive, narrow feeler gauge.
The backlash should be within 0.45 to 0.65 mm (0.018 ~ 0.026″).
The limit of backlash is 0.95mm (0.037″).
6. Measure the space between the gear, and straight-edge with a feeler gauge. Lay the straight-edge on the pump cover and measure the space between the straight-edge, and the gear contacting the surface on the pump cover with a feeler gauge. If the sum of these values measured exceeds 0.15mm (0.006″), replace the gears or the pump assembly.
Checking Gear End-Play
Specified clearance :
0.03 ~ 0.09 mm
(0.0012 ~ 0.003)
Assembly: Follow the disassembly procedures in the reverse order.
1. After assembly, check the gears for free movement.
2. After the assembly is completed, submerge the oil pump inlet pipe in a container filled with clean engine oil, then rotate the oil pump shaft, and check if the oil flows out from the outlet port.
LUBRICATING SYSTEM – Oil Pressure Regulator (Section 4)
Installation: Follow the removal procedures in the reverse order. When installing the oil pan, a new oil pan gasket should be used. Run the engine and check for oil leak.
Oil Pressure Regulator
The oil pressure regulator serves as safety valve preventing the high pressure oil discharged from the oil pump to rise above a specified value by means of the adjusting valve. The relief valve operating pressure is between 3.1 to 3.5 kg/cm² (44 to 50 psi) with the engine speed of 2,400 rpm.
NOTE : This pressure should be measured after the engine is properly warmed up.
When the valve spring is weakened or when the valve fails to close tight, the pressure of the oil delivered to the crankshaft bearings decreases, and may cause the bearings to burn. In such cases, remove the oil pressure regulator, disassemble by unscrewing the adjusting bolt, and clean the inside thoroughly.
If the valve springs is found to be weakened, replace the spring and valve. After installing the oil pressure regulator, adjust the oil pressure to the specified value by screwing or unscrewing the adjusting bolt.
Toyota PN: 90301-10042 has been discontinued. Use:
• RL1048 O-RING, OIL PRESSURE REGULATOR – 1F ENGINE TOYOTA LAND CRUISER – Replacement for Toyota P/N: 90301-10042
• RL1089 1F Oil Pressure Regulator Gasket – Replacement for Toyota 15318-60010 Gasket, Oil Pressure Regulator Body
• F/2F ENGINE OIL SENDER GUAGE ADAPTER – For Oil Pressure Test FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
OIL FILTER – Up to Engines: 273210) (Section 5)
The F Series Toyota Land Cruiser engine is equipped with an oil filter assembly incorporating a replaceable type element. The oil filter assembly is located on the left side of the engine mounted on the intake manifold. The function of the oil cleaner is to filter the engine oil flowing through the filter from the oil pressure regulator, and removing any foreign elements contained in the oil.
Oil Filter Removal
1. Remove the drain plug from the bottom of the oil filter case, and drain the oil into a container.
2. Disconnect the oil filter inlet and outlet pipes from the oil filter case.
3. Remove the bolts mounting the oil filter bracket to the intake manifold, and remove the oil filter assembly.
Oil Filter Disassembly
1. Remove the cap retaining bolt, and remove the cap, gasket, collar, gasket and the filter element.
2. Slide the gasket, support spring and washer out of the oil filter cartridge guide.
3. Remove the oil filter cartridge guide.
Oil Filter Components
A. Cap Retaining Bolt
C. Cleaner Cap
D. Upper Space Collar
E. Body Gasket
F. Element Support Washer
H. Oil Filter Element
I. Oil Filter Case
J. Oil Filter Clamp Band
L. Oil Filter Bracket
M. Lock Washer
Q. Filter Support Spring
R. Drain Plug
S. Cartridge Guide Gasket
T. Oil filter cartridge guide
Assembly: Follow the disassembly procedures in the reverse order. Wash out the sludge contained in the bottom of the filter case.
If the filter element is extremely dirty, replace the element. Do not wash the element with gasoline for reuse. All gaskets should be replaced upon assembly.
Installation: Follow the removal procedures in the reverse order. Check the oil level, and replenish as required. Run the engine, and check for oil leak.
OIL FILTER (From Engines: 273211)
Removal: Remove the oil filter by using a Toyota Oil Filter Band Wrench (09228-41010) or (09228-41011) (94MM X 15PT).
NOTE: Upon removal, some oil may drip, therefore, place a tray to prevent oil dripping onto the floor.
Installation: Upon installation, confirm that the filter gasket is properly in position, and the securely tighten the casing with the hands. The engine oil capacity of the filter is approximately 0.8 liter (0.85 US qt., 0.70 Imp qt.).
1. Do not use the Oil Filter Band Wrench upon installation.
2. After operating the engine, check that no oil leakage is present, and also check the engine oil level.
See our OIL FILTERS – TOYOTA LAND CRUISERS Post:
• INSTRUCTIONS / HOW TO’s: RED LINE LAND CRUISERS
• RL1040 1F Rocker Shaft Shaft O-Rings (2) – Toyota Land Cruiser
• Red Line 1F Oil Line Conversion Kit – F-145 and F-155 Toyota engines – Years of 3/69 – 9/73
• RL1041 F/2F ROCKER ARM OILER BUSHING, Replacement for Toyota 90999-73043
• Replacement for Toyota 13495-60010 LOCK, CRANKSHAFT PULLEY / RL1005 HARMONIC BALANCER LOCKOUT
Red Line 1F Oil Line Conversion Kit – F-145 and F-155 Toyota engine – Years of 3/69 – 9/73 RL1055