1978 Toyota LandCruiser FJ40 For Sale from a Red Line Customer.
See 50+ pics below.
• Excellent condition throughout
• Solid frame and body
• Very minor surface rust in a few locations
• A few small scratches
• Two small chips in windshield
• Radio not in working condition / one speaker mounted on family cage
Engine: 6 cylinder
Fuel Type: Gasoline
VIN #: FJ40277856
I bought this in May 2006 and have put only 3,117 miles on it since. It was garaged year round, and started/turned over regularly. I typically gave it a spin at least once per month, but most usage was in summer months – some off road and some on road. This FJ40 performs great off road, including a nice trek on the Rubicon in Tahoe with no problems. I made some major improvements, including:
• New BF Goodrich 33-10.50R15 tires at 85,110 miles
• New Wheels (Pacer chrome spokes 315C 15×8) at 85,110 miles
• 2 ½” lift suspension at 85,110 miles
• New battery at 85,225 miles
• Oil changes every year
• Intake and exhaust gasket, copper seal gasket, header to collector, push rod cover gasket, sealant, vacuum hose at 85,778 miles
• New tailgate, full size family cage for safety, full size family bikini top at 86,010 miles
• New windshield wipers at 86,200
• New diamond plate to round out both sides of the tailgate, new rear bumper, manifold gasket, water pump, bypass hose, new half doors, belts at 86,546 miles. Tailgate opens flat with locked compartment to store jumper cables, tools, etc.(see photo), and surrounding diamond plate was installed to match tailgate, not to cover up rust
• New Weber carburetor conversion kit; new interstate 85 month battery; installed automatic choke – all at 87,134 miles (pump gas once or twice before starting, and it never fails)
• New front brake pads at 87,804 miles
• Repaired wiring at reverse lamp circuit at 87,867 miles
• I also have the records from previous owner that dates from 7/13/04 (83,565 miles)
I have been storing the doors (2 side doors, 2 ambulance doors) inside in blankets for 7 years since I removed them and installed a full family cage and tailgate. The hardtop was stored in a garage since I removed it (until two years ago), but it has been outside since then. I have all the hardware/bolts, etc. to re-install if desired.
This vehicle will not pass California SMOG without some major modifications to the tune of over $2,000 I am told. I had it registered in an uncongested county, so it was not an issue for me, but to sell it in California, the seller is required to SMOG certify a vehicle. Therefore, this is not for sale in California. Before bidding on this FJ40, verify emissions laws in your state. Some states allow classic/antique vehicles to be excluded from SMOG requirements.
Buyer is responsible for shipping costs for FJ40, hardtop and doors (2 side doors, 2 ambulance doors). However, we will be glad to help arrange shipping with a transport company.